The Round Table Series was a success. . . Four speakers (Chato Villalobos of KCPD, Airick Leonard West of KCPS, Jase Wilson of Neighbor.ly and John Gordon, Jr. of Boys Grow) all set the tone for innovative and action oriented conversation. All in all, we dragged out 73 participants from all walks of life--artists, community members, parents, activists, teachers and principals. We collected participants' problems/challenges and/or ideas for solutions in relation to public education in KCMO.
Round Table #1: Hosted on 11/11/13
Themes that emerged were as follows:
1. A desire for collaboration between school leaders to share best practices, challenges and build community.
2. A noted problem of counselors being overwhelmed by administrative responsibilities, which takes away from their counseling time to address mental health.
3. A desire for more parents to be involved.
Round Table #2: Hosted on 11/18/13. A couple of nice photos by area photographer Mike Sinclair at Round Table 2 can be found here. Below is a video of Airick Leonard West's talk about his work at Community 360 and what it means to organize a community around education.
1. Stress and trauma experienced by teachers and students.
2. Community and neighborhood schools not taking responsibility or engaging/mobilizing around community/neighborhood schools.
3. Lack of wrap around services at neighborhood/community schools.