Held on 12/7/13 at 31st Troost Ave. A different approach was taken this time, where participants shared out challenges or ideas for solutions, and then participants voted on ideas they would like to carry out.
Top Categories voted upon (in order of popularity)
1. Create a different narrative about public education
2. Feel connected to something larger than oneself.
3. Professional and residency programming to expose children to professional opportunities
4. Role of stress in school environments at all levels (teachers, students, etc.)
5. Lack of community schools
6. Lack of a citywide movement.
7. Loss of young families as they move to suburbs/enroll kids in private schools.
8. Need to highlight "bright spots" of success in education in KCMO
9. Need for honest dialogue
10. Need for trust
Honorable mention (categories that were discussed but did not gain votes
1. Disconnection between people of privilege and those in poverty
2. Low turn out for school board elections
3. STEM/engineering/arts charter high school
3. Not enough interesting options for public high schools
4. Lack of an urban education community
5. A need to increase exposure to educational opportunities